Tuesday 2 September 2014

I am in Lapland!

Hey Guys!

So... I am in Lapland (and have been for four days now). I have been so so so busy recently and have not had the time to write my blog. Sorry.

Saturday 30th August: Moving day!
This was an early start for me, I left the house around 4.15am to get to the airport, arriving there around 5am. Both my parents, grandparents and cousin came with me to the airport which was really nice. I had to start by checking in my bags which went pretty smoothly and I only had to pay £40 to add an extra bag on which was brilliant... Particularly because I enjoy saving money. This is a theme within this blog. We all had breakfast together at the airport, a last supper of sorts, before I had to tearily say goodbye to my wonderful family.


So, my adventure began as I made my way through security and into no mans land. My first flight took me to London Heathrow airport, a short but sweet journey. Having flown domestically several times now, this was not a big deal. However, the fact I was offered free food on the plane was a very big deal. I love me a freebie and even more, free food. I was offered a cooked breakfast that did not taste of much, especially since I had only just finished a bacon roll an hour or so before hand. But it was free... kind of. I was more impressed with the TV that pops out of the roof showing you where the plane is located on the map. It really is the simple things that makes me happy.

When I arrived in London I got totally confused with having to switch flights and ended up on a 20 minute terminal transfer bus to a terminal that I was not convinced was the right one. Thankfully it was and I got on my plane to Helsinki no problem. I even got more food on this flight too! It has to be said, free-ish food/food in the price of your ticket, is the best kind of food.





There's a lot to be said about Helsinki airport. I love it. I would even go as far as to say that it is my favourite airport. One thing I noticed more than anything else (aside from how bloody expensive everything was...) was the presence of Moomins. The Moomins were everywhere in this airport, and in Lapland too. They even have their own shop! I also met a girl who I shall study with in the airport and we sat and spoke about McFly for ages. Although nothing tops seeing toy huskies in one of the many souvenir shops. All in all, a successful stop in Finland's capital.



I made the last leg of my journey around 8pm (local time), swapping the some what luxuries of British Airways for a tiny Flybe plane. The plane really was small and there was no free food, but I slept most of the way so it wasn't so bad.

After the longest day in history, I made it to Lapland!!The airport was tiny and the baggage reclaim section was strange. In the middle was a display of stuffed animals and all around me were signs for Christmas. I loved it.

I made my way to my hotel and got myself settled in. It was actually quite nice. The room had a TV and a huge bathroom but only two single beds so I didn't get to starfish.

The next morning I got my breakfast which was a help yourself buffet, like I have never seen before. There was a selection of meats and cheeses, salads and cereals and fruit and cake. I played it somewhat safe and had Swedish meatballs and salad... A pretty strange breakfast if I do say so myself.






And that was my first day! I have so much more to say but right now I am getting ready to go to uni. I shall make sure that I post another one ASAP about my first proper days in this gorgeous city!

Thanks for reading (if you've made it this far)

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment