Monday 15 September 2014

A great weekend | emmainlapland


Hey guys!

So I just wanted to write a little something to update you about what a great weekend I had!

On Friday I said I was heading to the bank to try and open an account. To cut a long story short, I didn't manage to open one because, after arguing with the woman who didn't speak much English, I discovered I needed to have a residents permit in order to open an account.

I didn't really see why I had to have a permit in order to open an account since, as a member of the EU I am entitled to work, live and study here freely but it's apparently Finnish law. 

On Friday night myself and some friends climbed to the top of a hiking trail (believe me, I'm as shocked as you are that I made it all the way there) to see the northern lights. 

Now, I thought I had seen the lights before. I thought I had ticked that item of my bucket list. But before I had only seen them in a busy housing estate with lots of street lights. This time I was in the middle of nowhere with no artificial light. 

What I saw was beyond amazing.

It is truly and utterly breathtaking to see the most beautiful and unpredictable natural sights. 

Here are a few pictures from what I saw. I didn't take all of these but some belong to other students who posted them on our Facebook group on the same night.

I have no words. 




The last photo doesn't even look real. That's how gobsmacking the aurora really is.

On Saturday I went to a Chinese buffet with some of my friends. It was pretty similar to the Chinese you get back home but there was less of a selection and no chips which upset me greatly. 


Saturday night I spent teaching my friend how to cycle. As it turns out, I'm not too shabby a teacher! 


She's getting there!

On Sunday a group of us went for a picnic at the beach... Yes, the beach! Who knew Lapland had a frigging beach?! We just chilled and ate food. Lots and lots of food.




And that was pretty much my weekend!

I'll post and other blog at the end of the week with more of my Lapland adventures!

Thanks again everyone :)

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment